Thursday, August 2, 2012

Breaking (Paleo) Bad

I cooked up something preeeety special last night, guys.

This recipe coulda saved poor Walt so much heartache.

Not the redneck cocaine. Better*. Paleo granola. 

Oh. It's you. Again. 
Early last week I discovered that I can't eat meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or my body will rebel and go into a meat coma. Since then, I have been eating hard boiled eggs pretty much every day for breakfast.

I love a hard boiled egg. So satisfying. So portable. So delicious with salt.

But it is not a sexy food, and a dozen or more of them in a week is bordering on some sort of punishment. I don't want to have an egg OD and end up hating them.

So I've been looking for other options, but it's tough to find something that's portable and not grain or dairy based.

This isn't my granola, but it's pretty, right?
Paleo Table is the blog where I found the recipe for the chorizo and sweet potato casserole that, while nearly killing me, was delicious until my body rebelled.

It is also the source of this granola recipe.

The downsides:

  • Expensive to make (although boxed cereal is also very expensive and this recipe makes a lot)
  • Time-intensive (needs at least an hour in the oven)

The upsides:

  • DELICIOUS. Seriously, our whole house smells like a pie and a macaroon are making sweet sweet love in the oven. 

I made it pretty much as instructed, except:

  • I couldn't find ground flax so I replaced that with chia seeds
  • I didn't have 4C of almonds (!) so I used some cashews
  • I added candied ginger (shhh....) and dried cranberries. 

Hooray! Breakfast. It's one of my top 3 favorite meals of the day. So glad to have it back.

* I can't actually speak to the deliciousness of meth, but really, this granola is great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment