Thursday, August 2, 2012

Week 5 Round-Up: Olympic Edition

I just love the Olympics, like the great big jingoistic fool that I am. Not surprisingly, there've been tons of great health and and athletics articles out around the games.

This is my favorite link of the week:

I just love her. (Michelle, call me! I totally love vegetables too! We can hang out!)

And my 2nd favorite, demonstrating how NBC is propagating its homosexual agenda (and thank god for it) (Really NBC? Seacrest? REALLY?)



Most of the links below are to Olympics-y articles, but I've profiled 2 non-Olympics posts that I thought were interesting- one (depressing) summary of some recent scientific studies, and the second fun in a dorky DC- way. Many thanks to Sal and Faye for bringing them to my attention. Have a great weekend!

I can't be the only one who secretly
loves this show, right? RIGHT??
The Article: Dieting Vs. Exercise for Weight Loss. Gretchen Reynolds, NYTimes, Aug. 1 2012.


What It Says 
You might as well finish that marathon of "Drop Dead Diva"; several research studies have shown that exercise has almost no impact on weight loss.

Why It's Interesting 
Well, it's not so much interesting as completely depressing, basically. I don't ONLY work out to lose weight- I do it for stress reduction, and to get outside, and because it generally makes me feel good. But it certainly is was a nice side effect that it contributed to weight loss.

Sigh. Pass the lettuce.

t
The Article: While Filing Political Stories, Traveling Journalists Also Fill Their Stomachs. Amy Gardener, WaPo, July 30, 2012. 


What It Says 
From WaPo.com
This is a really fun behind the scenes story about what it's like to travel with the press corps. And what it is like, is a Roman orgy of donuts and taquitos.

Because the journalists are all on different deadlines, and because it behooves them to keep the journalists covering their candidates on a permanent sugar high, the campaigns provide an around-the-clock feed fest of comfort food for the press covering the presidential election.

Why It's Interesting
This article is interesting because I'm a big nerd, and I love the elections. It's like the nerd Olympics.

Also, because I can totally identify with the impulse to eat under stress.

These guys work nearly around the clock between the primaries in the spring and summer through the election in November. The author describes it as alternatively deadly dull and intensely stressful- the perfect storm for overeating, in my book.

The author describes different strategies that the journalists employ to keep from gaining too much weight, and I've been trying to keep some of the same things in mind. For example- this is America. There will always be another opportunity to eat. Pace yourself.

Also Medaling


Olympic Appetites: How 8 Athletes Eat to Win. Michelle Edelbaum, Huffington Post, July 27, 2012.

Why Some Olympic Athletes Need To Gorge. Gretchen Reynolds, NYTimes, July 25, 2012.

The Ten Minute Workout, Times Three. Gretchen Reynolds, NYTimes, July 25, 2012.

The Unproven Claims of Fitness Products. Nicholas Bakalar, NYTimes, July 23, 2012. 

Whittling Yourself Down Before the Big Day. Abby Ellin, NYTimes, July 20, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment