Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vegemite, Anchovies, and Olives, Oh My!

This is classic- slow mo video of kids trying new foods for the first time.


I love the little girl trying the olive. C'mon, kiddo, you know you love it!

Were you an adventuresome eater as a kid? I always have been- my parents talk about watching me eat oysters on the half shell as a toddler, so it seems it's part of my nature.


I also think that my mom's being a great cook, and introducing us to lots of stuff when we were kids, plays a huge part. I grew up eating shad roe, chicken livers, and dried cuttlefish- so they're not weird to me at all. THANKS MOM!

Because I ate broadly growing up, I can usually find a familiar analogy to new foods when I come across them. Goat is much more popular overseas than it is in the US, and it's no weirder a thing to eat than lamb. If you're going to eat cow, how is water buffalo any different? Pate IS chicken liver; foie gras IS goose liver. The same goes double for veggies- there's really no such thing as a "gross" vegetable- except stewed okra. That shizz is just wrong.

Speaking of, I'm back in Zambia. Food here is pretty recognizable but I will keep you apprised of my success at keeping a better poker face than the kids above should I try something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment